Friday, June 12, 2009

Piano Recital

Last night Andrew and Nicholas played in a piano recital in a nearby town. Their teacher, K, rented the small theatre there and had most of her students perform. They ranged in age from 2 to adult! Most played piano, but there were guitar performances, handbells, rhythm sticks and a fair amount of singing, including one teen who performed a song she had written.

Nicholas had been soooo nervous the night before. He'd been practicing a lot and K stopped in twice in the last week, including the day of the concert, to go over the duet she was playing with him so that helped to calm him somewhat. He played wonderfully! So did Andrew, though he wasn't nearly as nervous as Nicholas to begin with. He just seems to deal with performing in a different way than Nicholas.

I tried to get some photos of them, but the way the keyboards were set up on stage made it difficult. They were playing on an electronic piano situated just to one side of centre at the rear of the stage and once they sat down you couldn't see more than the tops of their heads from where I was sitting. Oh well.

It was a long evening - the concert was well over two hours, with awards being handed out at the end. Andrew received a top piano student award. K had nobody to help her clean up afterwards so while Adrian's parents took our boys home to put them to bed, Adrian and I stayed to help. The keyboards and other assorted props had to be taken across the road to the music studio. We didn't get home until after 11:00pm and by the time we got to bed it was after midnight.

Adrian was up and out of the house before 8:00am to meet his Dad at camp to move a fridge and then to go with a friend to pick up a car. The kids and I got up around then, but we were all very grouchy this morning. I admit I had little patience with the blank stares over the math books until I finally clued in that they were just tired. Math books got put away and we relaxed a bit. I had a nap this afternoon and felt much better afterward. The boys went to bed early tonight, but I'm not sure who's actually asleep now. It doesn't matter, they are resting and that's fine. They all need to be up early for TKD in the morning. Only two weeks left there!

1 comment:

At Home on the Rock... said...

Sounds like a great recital. Congrats to Andrew on his award!

Hope everyone gets rested and the next couple of weeks go smoothly.