...Three Potato, Four. That's us this week, couch potatoes all. The boys are sick and I've got it now as well. Matthew had a stuffy nose and a bit of a cough last week, enough for me to not let him go to TKD Wednesday night. By Thursday night Andrew wasn't well (thankfully he made it through his piano exam first!) and Friday brought the stuffiness to Nicholas, too.
Saturday wasn't too bad. Sunday Andrew maintained a fever of 40.0 to 40.5 for most of the afternoon, having had a barky cough all through the night, but still managed to eat and drink a little. I made phone calls Sunday evening to cancel my Bible study for Monday morning. Matthew had a fever and was extremely lethargic Monday morning so I made appointments for them all. Nicholas showed up with a fever when the nurse took his temperature in the office.
Throat swabs were done on all three boys, to rule out strep throat and I was told to keep an eye on them all, especially Andrew who was obviously the sickest of the bunch on Monday. The nurse-practitioner we saw said his symptoms all point to influenza, which is in the community right now, and she said they could confirm it by doing a nasopharyngeal swab over at the hospital. Since there is nothing to do for influenza except to treat the symptoms I declined the swab. He was miserable enough as it was, no point in making him more uncomfortable just to confirm the diagnosis.
I thought yesterday Andrew was getting better since he was lively, no fever and much more active. He even went upstairs after breakfast to do his chores! By the afternoon though his was definitely not well and the fever is back, high again.
Each day this week has been the same. The kids wake up, make their way downstairs to the family room and spend the day ensconced in various comforters, sleeping bags and blankets while watching movies, playing video games, reading or being read to and snoozing in between doses of decongestant and pain meds. I've been doing the bare minimum around the house, preparing small meals for small appetites, bringing juice and meds, doing a bit of laundry, unloading and reloading the dishwasher and taking the dog out. I can't wait for this week to be finished!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
(((Hugs))) It's no fun when everyone gets sick. Hopefully, you will all be on the mend and soon! We've all had it here too...it just seems to go around and around.
I hope you all feel better.
Thanks! I don't seem to be doing as badly as the kids right now - no fever and I at least have a bit of energy this morning. I might even finish the laundry! lol!
Post a Comment